Spam is a huge problem for every website. Spammers love WordPress sites. Spam comments are irritating, and your readers might lose faith in you. Spam comments can negatively impact your search engine rankings. Akismet is one of the best comment spam filtering service that blocks spam in comments automatically. It is free to use and is highly recommended.
In this post, I will share how to configure Akismet For wordPress blog.
Activate Akismet Plugin
Akismet comes pre-installed with wordpress installation. You need to activate it. Go to Plugins > Installed Plugins. Click on Activate link next to Akismet Plugin
Enter API key
After activating Akismet, it will require an API key. If you already have a key enter and proceed. If you do not have a key, you can get it for FREE. Click on “Get your key”, you will be directed to Akismet’s website.
- When you click on “Get your key”, you will be directed to Akismet’s website. At first, you need to sign up for Akismet with WordPress.com. If you already own a WordPress.com account, just login with your account. Otherwise, you have to create a new account. Just enter your Email address, username & password and click on “Sign Up” button.
- On the next page, select the basic plan to generate a free Akismet API key.
- On the next page, move the slider all the way to the left under the column which says “What is Akismet worth to you?” And click on “Continue”
- On the next page, click on the eye icon to get the free Akismet API key. Your Akismet API key will be sent to your email address too.
- Add this Akismet API key onto your Akismet configuration page.(step2)
Configure Akismet Settings
That’s it. You are done!